By Robert Levine
Daniel McDonald, a favorite past resident of the Pines, moved to Orlando with his husband, Trent Williams McDonald. He worked as a real estate salesperson in the Pines for many years, and was a major performer in many FIPAP musical productions through the years, “La Cage aux Folles” among others. He reprised his roll recently as Georges, the leading man in La Cage, in a local production at the Titusville Playhouse in Florida, for which he won the Emma Award for Leading Actor in a Musical. On July 19,
“The Producers” will open and Daniel will play Carmen Ghia in this limited production at The Athens Theatre in DeLand, Florida. Trent is also appearing in “Mary Poppins” at St Luke’s Theatre, Orlando. Their good friend, Mary Farrell, who also lived in the Pines, appeared in FIPAP productions and moved to Orlando, will appear in “Annie” next December at The Athens Theatre. Hopefully they will return to Fire Island and we’ll be lucky enough to see their talent once again in the Pines.
Jim Vandernoth is spending a long weekend in London, attending a special birthday party for a special client. Mark Ricigliano had a few houseguests: Adam Sarrett as well as Omar and Anthony and Vito. He also had a grand brunch entertaining friends and neighbors from the Pines.
• On July 6, at 3:30 p.m., at the Pavilion, The Pines Historical Preservation Society will host a panel discussion of the 40th Anniversary of the famed Beach party. Guest speakers will be Scott Bromley, Ron Martin, Walter Boss, and France Joli, the guest singer at the original party, who will sing her hit song “Come to Me,” at 6 p.m., at the Blue Whale.
• On July 6, Rose Levine in “I Gotta Be Me,” at 8:30 p.m., with Mark York as director and musical director, Chris Bell and Dale Lally. Tickets are available at the Arts Project of Cherry Grove website, or at theatre box office on weekends, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• The Care Center at Whyte Hall will have free HIV testing, from noon- 3:30 p.m., on the following dates: July 6, 11, 20, 25; Aug. 3, 8, 21, 22; and Sept. 7, 12 and 21. No appointment necessary – just walk in.
• Fire Island Pines Volunteer Fire Department will have their annual Thank You Barbecue, on July 13, noon to 2:30 p.m.
• Meet Chasten Buttigieg (Pete’s husband), on July 13. He will be here in the Pines for a fundraiser. More information will follow in town.
• Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights AIDS will host their annual DRA (Dancers Responding to AIDS) the weekend of July 19-21. Fire Island Water Taxi will give complimentary rides from all communities to those with tickets to DRA and the Pines Party. Tickets available online at dradance.org.
• The beach party continues as “Island of Lost Boys” will be the theme for this year’s Pines Party on the weekend of July 26-28. Stay tuned for more information about it in my next column.
• BOFFO is presently searching for hosts for their Artist-in-Residency program, taking place in early August. Contact BOFFO office for more information.
Share this Article