- This event has passed.
LONG ISLAND DOG FESTIVAL @ Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay
May 17, 2019 @ 9:00 am - May 19, 2019 @ 4:00 pm$20
The Long Island Kennel Club welcomes families and their fur children to the Long Island Dog Festival on Sunday, May 19 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at the beautiful Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay.
The festival is part of the annual Long Island spring dog shows on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The shows on Friday, May 17, and Saturday, May 18, are run by the Ladies Kennel Association and are held at the same beautiful venue.
Sunday’s Long Island Dog Festival celebrates all things canine, from impeccable show dogs and agility training to doggie dock diving, farm dog trials, and talent shows. Fun-filled events and attractions make this festival a treat for anyone who loves dogs – that is to say, everyone!
The Long Island Kennel Club has recently readopted the club’s original logo – featuring the Bulldog – and to celebrate they’ve invited the Long Island Bulldog Rescue to join in on Sunday’s festivities. Bulldogs will be on hand to meet and greet, and visitors can steal kisses at the Bulldog Kissing Booth too.
The weekend’s daily activities culminate with the Conformation judging on all days. Hundreds of superbly presented dogs – coiffed collies, pedicured poodles, dandified Dandie Dinmonts, and other breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club –vie for bragging rights as they contend for Best in Show. All are invited to this parade of pups and cheer on the winner of the coveted ribbon.
Sunday is also Costume Day at the Long Island Dog Festival. This year’s theme: Long Island Nautical. Prizes will be awarded for the best adult costumes (male and female), children’s costumes (boy and girl), and pet costume.
Whether or not your dog has fleas, the Sunday Flea Market will offer a huge assortment of new and vintage items for all tastes and budgets. That includes jewelry, art, housewares, fashions, and gifts of all stripes (spots?) for any dog lover or collector.
Other Long Island Dog Festival highlights include:
- AKC’s My Dog Can Do That!: A professional instructor will help your dog navigate tunnels and jumps, just like those high-powered agility dogs on television.
- Dog Trick Competition: Can your hound give a high five? Can your terrier tap dance? Four-legged friends are invited to strut their stuff in the “My Dog Can Do That” competition.
- Dock Diving: It’s the latest water sport for dogs! A professional will be on hand to teach your pooch how to make a splash.
- Dog Shows: From toys and terriers to herders and hounds, watch these professional pooches strut their stuff. Hosted by the Ladies Kennel Association on Friday and Saturday and the Long Island Kennel Club on Sunday.
- Ask a Breeder: This is your chance to meet local purebred breeders and ask them anything you’ve always wanted to know about your specific breed.
- Canine crafts: A special coloring area lets even the youngest dog lovers be part of the action – and a professional face painter will transform little ones into playful pups.
- Chow: An array of food and drinks will be available for purchase – including hot dogs, of course!
- Vendors: Take some pooch-centric goodies back to your dog house.
Admission of $20 per car load includes all-day access to the
For general information about the show, contact 516-378-9081 or 631-928-4312, or visit www.longislanddogshows.com. For vendor information, call 516-378-9081.